A few months ago, I got a shiny, new laptop.
It is silver.
With a half-eaten piece of fruit on the case.
As I opened the box, my face glowed in its reflection. The marketing department had done its job.
Endorphins flooded my body as I bonded with my newborn, the pain of purchase obliterated by oxytocin.
In the months since, I have noticed a new focus in my life. My personality has changed, my days are spent differently. As my kids grow up and away, a new baby has entered my life.
Goes by the name of Mac.
14 Ways Our Laptops Act As Baby Substitutes:
1. We talk to them.
2. They go everywhere with us.
3. We suffer separation anxiety.
4. We attend to all their strange noises.
5. In a fire, we’d put our photos under one arm and them under the other.
6. They catch viruses that cause all sorts of havoc with our daily lives.
7. They’re the the first thing we check in the morning and the last thing at night.
8. We can’t remember our lives without them. Or how we managed.
9. We dress them up in fancy clothes purchased from Etsy.
10. We carry them everywhere. On our hip.
11. They’re fragile and precious.
12. They keep our laps warm.
14. Our lives are never the same again.
What about you? Are you bonded to your communication devices? Find yourself staring at your screen getting a warm, fuzzy glow? Can you think of any more ways our computers substitute as babies? Let me know in the comments!
If you liked this article, please do me a favor and share on Facebook or Twitter. There are buttons at the top and bottom of this article.