No, this isn’t one of those gratitude posts where we get all breathless and sappy and thankful we have running water and socks on our feet.
I’m gettin’ real here, people. Down and dirty to the gritty that make such sense in our overcrowded, overscheduled lives.’
Things I love. Things that make me smile. Things that positively affect my life in an amount disproportionate to the amount they cost. Everyday things that are commonplace, ordinary and mundane.
I’m talkin’ ’bout the stuff of life that quietly gives us comfort and relaxes us in a way that few other people understand.
And if they do, you know they’re your kind of people.
Eleven Things I Love
1. My shiny, silver laptop. ‘Nuff said.
2. My big, clunky spill-proof 32oz water bottle ergonomically designed to be drunk anywhere I happen to be. $3.99 from CVS; I have four.
3. My bed, my extra firm pillow and very occasionally, because I don’t think they are very good for you but which are awesome when you’re under-the-weather, my electric blanket. My bed is my favorite place in the whole wide world.
4. The latest crime procedural from one of my favorite authors – Nigel McCrery, Barry Maitland, Deborah Crombie, Minette Walters. Once a year, I trawl Amazon for their latest offerings and put in purchase requests to our local library.
5. My jewelry. It just gives me such a lift when I put it on. Whatever I’m going for, classy and elegant or young and trendy, it never fails to make me feel ‘more.’
6. A meal cooked and cleaned up by someone else.
7. Photo collages of my family. I’ve made these periodically over the years, using the best photos of everyone I can find. I often find myself stopping and staring at them as I go about my day.
8. A tidy, quiet house.
9. A nap in a sunny bedroom. I have bought homes and locked into ridiculous mortgages over decades on the basis of this feature.
10. The toilet seat lid that slowly floats down to a noiseless close after I give it a little start. I love that!
11. A nice cup of tea preferably out of a pot for one. A real treat whether enjoyed alone or with a friend. My husband buys a British brand formulated for the US market but I have a secret stash of the real thing…
While any of these things, individually, make me smile, by looking at this list I can come up with combinations that are simply awesome:
- Reading one of my favorite novels on my bed with a cup of tea by my side in a tidy, quiet house.
- Wearing my jewelry and eating a meal cooked and cleaned up by someone else followed by a cup of tea.
- Staring at my photo collages in a tidy, quiet house, ruminating, remembering.
- Working on my laptop, while laying on the bed, with a cup of tea and a spill-proof waterbottle.
- Flipping that noiseless toilet seat lid and being back in my seat reading my book in my nice, quiet house before it even glides to a close.
- Reading my book in a sunny room until sleepy, then having a lovely, long nap.
What mundane things make you smile or more relaxed? How can you combine them to make an awesome experience? Let me know in the comments!
If you liked this article, please do me a favor and ‘like’ the TSLWW Facebook Fan page. You can find the box in the sidebar. I would so appreciate it! Thank you.